TransNet Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee
TransNet Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee
With the passage of the TransNet Extension Ordinance and Expenditure Plan in November, 2004 (Proposition A), it was mandated in the Ordinance that an Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee for TransNet be formed to provide an enhanced level of accountability for the expenditure of funds under the Expenditure Plan. The Committee will also help ensure that all voter mandates are carried out as required and will develop recommendations for improvements to the financial integrity and performance of the program.
ITOC released its Annual Report, which highlights the Committee's milestones and accomplishments during FY 2016.
ITOC released the third Triennial Performance Audit on the TransNet program in June 2015. The second audit was released in May 2012 and the first audit was released in May 2009. These required audits from the TransNet Extension Ordinance generally give the program high marks, while making a series of recommendations to improve various processes. ITOC is currently working with SANDAG staff to develop an implementation plan for the recommendations.
The roles and responsibilities of ITOC, the selection process for ITOC members, and related administrative procedures shall be carried out in substantially the same manner as further described in the document titled, “Statement of Understanding Regarding the Implementation of the Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee for the TransNet Program,” which is incorporated in the TransNet Extension Ordinance and Expenditure Plan. That document, as well as ITOC bylaws and other guidelines adopted by ITOC are included below as downloads.
Part of ITOCs success relies on continued feedback from the public. Building and maintaining open dialogue is a critical element of the future of San Diego’s transportation system — one that offers viable choices and alternatives to travelers. To share your thoughts and ideas with ITOC, please complete our comment form.
As specified in the TransNet Ordinance, ITOC members have been selected to serve in each of the seven specified areas of professional expertise. The Selection Committee, consisting of a panel of city mayors and county supervisors, has selected the following ITOC members:
- Stewart Halpern, ITOC Chair (Term expires May 2019): Stewart is serving in the ITOC position for a professional in the field of municipal/public finance and/or budgeting with a minimum of ten years in a relevant and senior decision-making position in the public or private sector. He has over 30 years of experience in various aspects of financial decision-making, managing external auditors, budgeting, and financial analysis. Stewart has served as a senior financial executive for major Wall Street firms with a focus on tax-exempt entity financing. He currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors of San Diego Coastkeeper. Stewart lives and works in the La Jolla area of San Diego.
- Dustin Fuller, ITOC Vice Chair (Term expires May 2019): Dustin is serving in the ITOC position for a professional in biology or environmental science with demonstrated experience in environmental regulations and major project mitigation requirements and/or habitat acquisition and management. He is a Senior Environmental Planner with the 22nd District Agricultural Association. Dustin has more than 15 years of experience in the environmental planning field, including coordination with resource agencies, preparation of environmental documents, and permit processing. He currently serves as a member of the Association of Environmental Professionals. Dustin is a Clairemont resident working in Del Mar.
- Brad Barnum, (Term expires May 2017): Brad is serving in the ITOC position for a professional with experience in the management of large-scale construction projects. He has more than 13 years of experience in various aspects of the construction industry, including bidding practices, specifications content, project delivery methods, payment schedules, inspector methods, change order procedures, contracts, safety, and labor compliance. Brad has served as Vice President of Government Relations of the Associated General Contractors in San Diego for the past 12 years. He is a Torrey Hills resident working in Sorrento Valley.
- Carolyn Lee (Term expires May 2017): Carolyn is serving in the ITOC position for a professional with experience in real estate, land economics, and/or right-of-way acquisition. Carolyn will draw upon her experience in supervising capital and support budgets with multiple funding sources in fulfilling her oversight role on the committee. She lives in the Tierrasanta area of San Diego.
- Kai Ramer (Term expires May 2019): Kai is serving in the ITOC position for a licensed engineer with appropriate credentials in the field of transportation project design or construction and a minimum of ten years of experience in a relevant and senior decision making position in the government or private sector. He is a principal for Rick Engineering Company and has over 25 years of experience in the field of transportation engineering. He has served on the Santee School District Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee and as past president of the San Diego Highway Development Association. He is currently a member of the San Diego County Taxpayers Association. Kai is a Santee resident working in Mission Valley.
- Jonathan Tibbitts (Term expires May 2019): Jonathan is serving in the ITOC position for a licensed architect or civil/traffic engineer with experience in transportation and/or urban design. He is a registered civil engineer (retired) with over 20 years of experience, including construction management and service as Commander with the U.S. Navy Civil Engineer Corps. Jonathan lives in the Kensington area of San Diego.
- Richard Vortmann (Term expires May 2017): Richard is serving in the ITOC position for a chief executive officer or person in a similar senior-level decision-making position, of a major private sector employer with demonstrated experience in leading a large organization. He has over 30 years of experience in the fields of financial management and strategic planning, including over 22 years as President of National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO) and six years as Vice President of General Dynamics Corporation. He has served as a member of numerous boards including the San Diego Regional Economic Development Corporation and Scripps Health, among others. Most recently, he also served as Interim President and Chief Executive Officer of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce. Richard lives in the La Jolla area of San Diego.
ITOC bylaws authorize the current ITOC Chair, Stewart Halpern, to serve as the primary spokesperson for ITOC.
If you would like to be notified of future vacancies on ITOC, or if you have comments, questions, or suggestions for the Committee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
José Nuncio, TransNet Program Director
Phone: (619) 699-1908, Email: email@example.com
The ITOC will meet on an as needed basis.
Copies of TransNet Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee meeting agendas, action notes, and presentations are available via the links below. The agendas and action notes are provided in PDF format. Visit our Help section if you have problems viewing any of these PDF files.
|Date||Meeting Title||Meeting Materials [a-z] [z-a]|
|4/12/2017||Meeting Cancelled||Cancellation Notice|
|3/8/2017||Regular Session||Minutes, Agenda, ITOC TransNet and TransNet Extension Activities, Year Ended June 30, 2016, Audio|
|2/8/2017||Regular Session||Minutes, Agenda, Audio|
|1/11/2017||Regular Session||Agenda, Minutes, Audio|
- TransNet Extension Ordinance and Expenditure Plan [PDF, 3546 KB]
- ITOC Bylaws [PDF, 3923 KB]
- ITOC Debt Financing Oversight Responsibilities [PDF, 37 KB]
- ITOC Major Project Oversight Responsibilities [PDF, 32 KB]
- ITOC Performance Audit Responsibilities [PDF, 38 KB]
- TransNet Triennial Performance Audit, 2012 [PDF, 1074 KB]
- TransNet Triennial Performance Audit, 2015 [PDF, 2931 KB]
- ITOC Overview [PDF, 27 KB]
- TransNet Triennial Performance Audit, 2009 [PDF, 724 KB]
- FY 2011 TransNet Fiscal and Compliance Audit Report [PDF, 6358 KB]
- FY 2012 TransNet Fiscal and Compliance Audit Report [PDF, 2899 KB]
- FY 2013 TransNet Fiscal and Compliance Audit Report [PDF, 2158 KB]
- FY 2014 TransNet Fiscal and Compliance Audit Report [PDF, 2360 KB]
- FY 2015 TransNet Fiscal and Compliance Audit Report [PDF, 4225 KB]
- RTCIP Impact Fee Nexus Study, 2007 [PDF, 2269 KB]