Once you’ve identified a job you’d like to be considered for, let us know by filling out a SANDAG Employment Application – this is required for all positions. You’re welcome to add a resume, cover letter, and other materials to your application package, but we won’t consider these items a substitute for the application. For some positions, we also ask applicants to respond to one or more supplemental questions or attach a recent work/writing sample. Check the Job Announcement for the position you are interested in for specific details. Information about the supplement is typically found on the last page of the position announcement.
Submitting your Application
SANDAG accepts application materials via email, fax, regular mail, courier, or hand delivery. Applications are usually due by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline shown on the Job Announcement. Mailed, couriered, and hand delivered application materials should be addressed/delivered to:
San Diego Association of Governments
401 B Street, Suite 800
San Diego, CA 92101
Attn: Human Resources
Faxed applications can be sent to (619) 699-6905; this is a confidential fax within the Human Resources department.
Getting an Application Form
You can obtain a copy of the SANDAG Employment Application in two different ways.
- You can download a PDF version. Once downloaded, the form can be completed either electronically or by hand and returned to SANDAG.
How to download the application:
Using your right mouse-button, click on the Employment Application link. Select SAVE TARGET AS. When the SAVE AS dialog box opens up, you can choose a location to save the file on your computer and rename the file if you wish. Once downloaded, you will be able to fill in the form electronically using Acrobat or Acrobat Reader or print a copy of the form to fill in by hand.
- If you prefer, we can mail or email you an application package (consisting of the application form and Job Announcement). Either call us at (619) 699-1900 or send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide us with your first and last name, mailing address, and the title of the position for which you are applying.
Filling Out the Application Electronically
The PDF version of the Employment Application contains fill-in fields that allow you to complete the form electronically. Please ensure that you save the form to your computer before you begin filling it out. If you fill out the form without having saved it first, the information in the form will not be transmitted when you email it to us.
- Open the downloaded file in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
- Select the hand pointer tool from the tool bar or from the TOOLS menu.
- Position the hand pointer over the field until it changes from an arrow pointer to an I-beam pointer. The I-beam pointer allows you to type text. The arrow pointer allows you to select a field, a check box, a radio button, or an item from a list.
- Use your mouse to move between text entry fields. You can also use the TAB key.
Once the PDF version of the Employment Application is completed, you have the option to print a hard copy of the file and mail/fax/deliver your information by the close date.
Alternatively, an “Email Form” button has been placed toward the end of the PDF application. When selected, this option will transmit your application directly to the SANDAG Human Resources Department via your normal email program. You can attach a cover letter, resume, writing/work samples, or other materials to the email message. (For your reference, your application materials will be sent to email@example.com.)
After you choose the “E-mail Form” button, Acrobat will verify that you have checked the “I Agree” box and typed your name in the “Signature” box to acknowledge that you have read and understood the information contained in the application. You will be prompted to take this action if not already completed.
Another option is to simply attach the saved Employment Application form and any other application materials in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PDF Software Requirements
It is recommended that you install the freely available Acrobat Reader 11.0 software on your computer to complete and email the application form.