How to Apply
How to Apply
Once you’ve identified a job you’d like to be considered for, let us know by filling out a SANDAG employment application – this is required for all positions. You’re welcome to add a resume, cover letter, and other materials to your application package, but we won’t consider these items a substitute for the application. For some positions, we also ask applicants to respond to one or more supplemental questions or attach a recent work/writing sample. Check the Job Announcement for the position you are interested in for specific details. Information about the supplement is typically found on the last page of the position announcement.
Please note, the employment application has been updated effective July 1, 2014. Please ensure you are using the most current version of the application.
Requests for Accommodation
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), fax (619) 699-6905, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitting your Application
SANDAG accepts application materials via email, fax, regular mail, courier, or hand delivery. Applications are usually due by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline shown on the Job Announcement. Mailed, couriered, and hand delivered application materials should be addressed/delivered to:
San Diego Association of Governments
401 B Street, Suite 800
San Diego, CA 92101
Attn: Human Resources
Emailed applications can be sent to email@example.com.
Faxed applications can be sent to (619) 699-6905; this is a confidential fax within the Human Resources department.
Getting an Application Form
You can obtain a copy of the SANDAG Employment Application in two different ways.
- You can download a PDF version. Once downloaded, the form can be completed either electronically or by hand and returned to SANDAG. To download the application, use your right mouse-button, click on the employment application link, and select SAVE TARGET AS. When the SAVE AS dialog box opens up, you can choose a location to save the file on your computer and rename the file if you wish. Once downloaded, you will be able to fill in the form electronically using Acrobat or Acrobat Reader or print a copy of the form to fill in by hand.
- If you prefer, we can mail or email you an application package (consisting of the application form and Job Announcement). Either call us at (619) 699-1900 or send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide us with your first and last name, mailing address, and the title of the position for which you are applying.
The PDF version of the employment application contains fill-in fields that allow you to complete the form electronically. Please ensure that you save the form to your computer before you begin filling it out. If you fill out the form without having saved it first, the information in the form will not be transmitted when you email it to us.
- Open the downloaded file in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
- Select the hand pointer tool from the tool bar or from the TOOLS menu.
- Position the hand pointer over the field until it changes from an arrow pointer to an I-beam pointer. The I-beam pointer allows you to type text. The arrow pointer allows you to select a field, a check box, a radio button, or an item from a list.
- Use your mouse to move between text entry fields. You can also use the TAB key.
Once the PDF version of the employment application is completed, you have the option to print a hard copy of the file and mail/fax/deliver your information by the close date.
PDF Software Requirements
It is highly recommended that you use Acrobat Reader to fill out this application. While PDFs are widely used, Adobe reports that there are known compatibility issues with Adobe Acrobat when using other readers such as Preview. Adobe Reader can be downloaded for free by visiting the Adobe website at adobe.com/reader.
Please see our FAQs section for more information.