Human Resources Intern
$13.50 per hour
Close Date: Open until Filled
* This is not a regular SANDAG position. The selected candidate will be hired as a Temporary, Intern, Part-Time, or Seasonal (TIPS) employee. Benefits are not included.
Details about the SANDAG Employment Application, 2-3 page writing sample, and cover letter required for this position can be found below.
Overview of our Human Resources Program
The Human Resources team has earned a reputation as an innovative, proactive, customer-oriented group who provide vision and leadership for programs and practices that allow the agency to leverage the very best from its talented workforce. The intern in this group will play an important role in the design and implementation of various strategic HR initiatives.
With the guidance and mentoring of senior staff, this position will provide a “hands-on” learning experience in many of the primary areas of human resource management. Examples of intern responsibilities may include:
- Support the agency’s recruiting program; assist with the preparation and advertising of job announcements, maintain applications and related records, prepare correspondence, respond to candidate inquiries, and schedule interviews.
- Participate in onboarding and orientation efforts; update various employee records and files such as organizational charts and staff rosters, and contribute to ongoing enhancement initiatives.
- Assist with the employee benefits program; assist with coordinating the annual wellness fair and the open enrollment period, complete data audits, and maintain files and records.
- Support various aspects of the performance management program; assist with the preparation of career development tools and resources for employees and managers, assist with maintaining data and statistics, and assist with processing performance evaluations.
- Participate in various agency-wide program initiatives such as Wellness, Training and Development, and other programs related to organizational effectiveness.
- Respond to requests for information from employees, managers, member agencies, or the public.
SANDAG employees are known for their commitment to excellence and passion for the work they do. We look for the same qualities in interns. To be most successful in this position, our ideal candidate would have the following education, experience, and attributes:
- Graduate or final year undergraduate level coursework in human resources, business or public administration, or a related field.
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment while working with sensitive and highly confidential information.
- Ability to complete complex assignments that involve researching, quantitative analysis, and synthesizing information into written summaries, reports, or recommendations.
- Proficient computer skills with MS Word, MS Excel, and Internet research.
- Ability to communicate with various audiences using exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to perform a variety of tasks typical of an entry-level human resources position.
Hours, Pay, and Perks
Interns are paid $13.50 per hour, and are eligible to receive pro-rated holiday pay, paid sick leave, and a regional transit pass. The internship is offered as a one-year position, working approximately 20 to 25 hours per week. The work is primarily performed during normal business hours; a specific schedule will be worked out between the intern and manager.
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this internship by sending us a completed Employment Application along with a recent two-to-three page writing sample. A cover letter describing how this internship would contribute to your career goals in the human resources field is highly desirable.
The application form can be downloaded from the Careers section of the SANDAG website. Once completed, your application and writing sample can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to SANDAG, Attn: Human Resources, 401 B Street, Suite 800, San Diego, CA 92101.
Apply immediately. We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. The internship is expected to start in April 2017.
The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
Any questions regarding this internship or application procedures can be referred to Rachel Nycholat, Senior Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (619) 699-1962.
Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability should state their needs in writing when submitting an application.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- FMLA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 89 KB]
- SANDAG Employment Application [PDF, 836 KB]
Review the 'How to Apply' page for details on completing and submitting the Application Form electronically.
- SANDAG Position Announcement: Human Resources Intern [PDF, 832 KB]
- CFRA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 45 KB]