Web Development Intern
$13.50 per hour
Close Date: Open Until Filled
* This is not a regular SANDAG position. The selected candidate will be hired as a Temporary, Intern, Part-Time, or Seasonal (TIPS) employee. Benefits are not included.
Details about the SANDAG Employment Application, 2-3 page writing sample, and cover letter required for this position can be found
Overview of the Regional Information Services Team
Through web and Intranet sites, web-based applications, and the development of complex databases, the Regional Information Services team deploys tools and resources that allow public access to regional data sources as well as enhance internal business processes. As a member of this team, the intern will gain exposure to the industry-leading work SANDAG is doing in these areas.
With the guidance and mentoring of senior staff, this position will provide a “hands-on” learning experience in the website and application development profession. Examples of intern responsibilities include:
- Contribute as a team member to various assignments and projects; participate in meetings and liaise with customers and project partners; gather user requirements.
- Assist with the development, modification, and maintenance of SharePoint Intranet sites used for various business functions.
- Assist with website modifications and enhancements and provide technical support.
- Assist with the development and enhancement of web-based database applications.
- Assist with developing and maintaining web-based mapping applications.
- Assist with developing SQL queries, stored procedures, and other database related tasks.
- Contribute to the preparation of various types of reports, summaries, correspondence, and presentations.
SANDAG employees are known for their commitment to excellence and passion for the work they do. We look for the same qualities in interns. To be most successful in this position, our ideal candidate will have the following education, experience, and attributes:
- Graduate level coursework in computer science, information technology, or a related field.
- Ability to creatively apply technology to solve data sharing and business process problems.
- Ability to complete assignments that involve analyzing user requirements, designing, and implementing a solution.
- Ability to use and configure SharePoint; experience programming SharePoint Web Parts is desirable.
- Knowledge of PHP and Drupal is desirable.
- Ability to communicate with various audiences using exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to perform a variety of tasks typical of an entry-level web developer position.
Hours, Pay, and Perks
Interns are paid $13.50 per hour, and are eligible to receive pro-rated holiday pay, paid sick leave, and a regional transit pass. This internship is offered as one-year position, working approximately 20 to 25 hours per week. The work is primarily performed during normal business hours; a specific schedule will be worked out between the intern and manager.
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this internship by sending us a completed Employment Application form. A cover letter describing how this internship would contribute to your career goals in web development along with 2-to-3 pages of sample code from a recent project is highly desirable.
The application form can be downloaded from the Careers section of the SANDAG website. Once completed, your application and sample code can be emailed to email@example.com or sent to SANDAG, Attn: Human Resources, 401 B Street, Suite 800, San Diego, CA 92101.
Apply immediately. We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. The internship is expected to start in June 2017.
The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
Any questions regarding this internship or application procedures can be referred to Cristen Powell, Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (619) 595-5379.
Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability should state their needs in writing when submitting an application.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- FMLA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 89 KB]
- SANDAG Employment Application [PDF, 836 KB]
Review the 'How to Apply' page for details on completing and submitting the Application Form electronically.
- SANDAG Job Announcement - Web Development Intern [PDF, 181 KB]
- CFRA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 49 KB]