Community Benefits Agreement
On December 17, 2021, the Board of Directors authorized the Chief Executive Officer to execute the negotiated Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) between SANDAG and the San Diego County Building and Construction Trades Council. The effective date of the fully executed SANDAG CBA is May 19, 2022. The CBA benefits the San Diego region by advancing racial equity, assisting vulnerable individuals, and supporting underserved local communities. The goal is to create economic sustainability benefits for the region derived from employment and training programs to help systemically marginalized individuals.
The CBA includes robust provisions that target a specific framework of equity and inclusion through economic opportunities, such as creating career pathways for disadvantaged workers, targeted workers, veterans, individuals from under-represented populations, and disadvantaged businesses in the San Diego region. The CBA expands on developing a system for recruitment, training, and career placement that meets the objectives of the Workforce Opportunities for Rising Careers (WORC) program.
Key components of the SANDAG CBA:
- Includes WORC program Initiatives
- Inclusive of both union and non-union contractors
- Inclusive of all state and federally approved apprenticeship programs
- Additional flexibility for Disadvantaged Businesses regarding hiring and benefit contributions
- High-reaching goals for Disadvantaged and Targeted Worker employment
Disadvantaged and Targeted Worker Hiring Goals
All contractors working on SANDAG construction projects covered by the CBA will be required to comply with the following hiring requirements:
30% goal of total work hours performed by Disadvantaged Workers
- Individuals from low-income areas
- Includes Veterans residing anywhere
10% goal of total work hours performed by Targeted Workers
- Apprentices with less than 15% of required hours
- No High School Diploma or GED
- Former Foster Youth
- Custodial Single Parent
- Receiving Government Assistance
- Low-Income (100% below Federal Poverty Level)
- Formerly Incarcerated
- MC3 Pre-Apprenticeship Graduates
For questions about the SANDAG Community Benefits Agreement or WORC Program, please contact Erik Staples, SANDAG Senior Administrative Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Madison Kausen, SANDAG CBA Analyst, at email@example.com.