Skip navigation
navigation section title graphic for Auditor
navigation section title graphic for programs
navigation section title graphic for resources
navigation section title graphic for services
navigation section title graphic for newsletter
Subscribe

View Region newsletter

News

News Home | News Archive | Region Newsletter


Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee Releases Annual Report on TransNet

July 23, 2020 -- Committee Breaks Down Spending and Revenue of Local Half-Cent Sales Tax for Transportation, Managed by SANDAG

On Friday, July 10, the TransNet Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee (ITOC) presented its Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 Annual Report to the SANDAG Board of Directors, highlighting accomplishments and milestones that occurred during Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 2020).
 
The FY 2020 ITOC Annual Report helps provide the public with an extra layer of accountability for the spending of taxpayer funds through TransNet – the region’s half-cent sales tax for transportation improvements. The FY 2020  report discusses the upcoming Triennial Performance Audit which will occur in FY 2021, a progress update on implementation of recommendations from the previous TransNet Triennial Performance Audit, highlights of major project and program progress during FY 2020, and highlights from the annual fiscal and compliance audit.

The most recent TransNet Triennial Performance Audit, conducted in FY 2018, included 26 recommendations to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability of the TransNet Program to the region’s taxpayers. The FY 2020 ITOC Annual Report shows that SANDAG has made progress on all of the 26 recommendations, and completed six:

• Implementation of a “Plan of Excellence” and a 7-point Data Accuracy and Modeling Work Plan to reduce the potential for data errors

• Working together with the region’s transit operators to analyze options offsetting the impact that subsidy disparities have on available funds for expanding transit services

• Improvements to project management practices and delivery of Bike Early Action Program projects

• Establishing a new Memorandum of Agreement with Caltrans, the California Department of Fish and Game, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to improve the Environmental Mitigation Program

• Modifying staff reports for SANDAG Board and other oversight committees to improve transparency

• Ensuring additional data on completed projects is maintained in the TransNet dashboard

In addition to covering performance on recent audits, the ITOC Annual Report highlighted TransNet funding for projects planned between FY 2019 and FY 2023. TransNet represents 30% of the approximately $8 billion projected to be spent during this time period, with the remaining 70% of funds coming from federal, state, or other local sources. Of the approximately $2.4 billion in TransNet funds expected to be spent between FY 2019 and FY 2023, about $1.1 billion is earmarked for work on major corridors, such as I-5, I-15, and SR 78, while about $521 million is planned for local streets improvements.

ITOC meets every month to discuss ongoing TransNet priorities and projects, and to provide feedback to the SANDAG Board of Directors. The committee is comprised of seven members who have been selected to serve in a variety of specified areas of professional expertise. The committee helps ensure that all voter mandates are carried out as required and develops recommendations for improvements to the financial integrity and performance of the program.

To learn more about the committee, visit sandag.org/itoc .

Project Manager(s)

For media inquiries, please contact the SANDAG Public Information Office at (619) 699-1950 or pio@sandag.org.